This 2-day course, The Core Coach Training content is similar to the previous Level 2 (UKCC) course and once completed you can proceed to Discipline Specific Training.
The Coach Award is designed for people who wish to coach paddlers who want to gain/improve paddlesport skills within their chosen discipline. This may include, for example, technical/tactical skill development, physical/psychological development, developing independent paddlers, or supporting athletes at competitions.
The syllabus is based on the knowledge, understanding and skills that the coaches need to ensure the athletes/learners in their care are appropriately provided for. This includes:
- Assessing athlete/learner performance and needs
- Designing and delivering progressive practice/training sessions to meet these needs
- Managing safety
- Creating an enjoyable motivating learning environment
- Skills to support your own personal learning and professional development
- Full Home Nation Association Membership
Candidates should however be familiar with basic skills in their chosen craft/discipline (the what to coach) and are recommended to complete the British Canoeing Paddlesport Instructor eLearning module which covers the expected prior knowledge of how to coach.
What do I do after the Core Coach Training?
You can proceed to Discipline Specific Training when you feel ready (and when you have the prerequisites in place), Discipline Specific Training focuses on how to coach the discipline specific skills. Discipline Specific Training courses are 2-days:
Plas Menai will provide all necessary personal protective clothing including wetsuits, waterproofs, buoyancy aids and helmets.
Please bring with you;
- Swimming togs & towel
- Footwear for on the water
- Sock that cover your ankles
- 50p for locker
THINGS TO CONSIDER WHEN YOU BOOK WITH PLAS MENAI NATIONAL OUTDOOR CENTRE
Plas Menai fully supports the government guidelines on the current Covid-19 situation. Following Government advice, we have everything in place to operate safely and follow these guidelines.
- Pre book your adventure online. Booking in advance is essential. We cannot accommodate walk in bookings.
- A booking confirmation will be sent out to your email address including all information you will need before arriving at the centre.
- Waivers are online only; a link will be included in your email confirmation for you to complete on your own computer or phone. If we do not receive a completed waiver from you and additional participants, we cannot take you on your activity.
- Arrive 10 mins before your adventure start time and wait in your vehicle where your instructor will meet you.
- If you have your own wetsuits it is preferable to bring them, if not, our instructors will allocate your wetsuit, buoyancy aid and helmet that will have all been cleaned within manufacturer guidelines.
During this time, we have had to adapt areas of our service to ensure staff and customers are kept safe. Find out how we are reopening safely here.
Duration: 2 Days
Minimum Standard: See Pre-Requisites
Minimum Age: 16 yrs.