This Award Assessment is aimed at paddlers taking on formal leadership responsibilities in benign, sheltered water environments and aims to support Leaders run safe, quality, enjoyable trips based on their group’s needs and aspirations.
Paddlesport Leaders will need to show sound personal skills in at least one craft and their leadership skills will be assessed looking after paddlers in a range of craft, including mixed fleets. The award will be useful for Leaders in clubs, centres, commercial settings, schools, Duke of Edinburgh and youth/uniform groups.
This 2-day course will look at all aspects of the BC Paddlesport Leader Award. The Paddlesport Leader Award is a non-discipline specific award – in that you can choose what craft you would like to paddle and be assessed in the appropriate environment. For the BC Paddlesport Leader Award, you will be based in the appropriate sheltered water environment which includes slow moving water and wind effected open water.
The assessment will include personal paddling, equipment awareness, environmental awareness and supporting knowledge. In addition to this safety and rescue will be covered along with leadership of a group of four paddlers.
Paddlers wishing to complete a Paddlesport Leader Assessment are required to register with their Home Nation before they are able to attend the assessment.
It is advisable to do this at least 2-weeks prior to the assessment date. At the point of registration, evidence of the following is required:
- Valid (within 3 years) British Canoeing recognised 1-day First Aid award
- Full Home Nation Association Membership
- Registration Fee: £39
You must be aged 16 or over at the time of assessment. Note that you cannot be deemed responsible for leadership by law until you turn 18 years of age.
Paddlers who already meet these prerequisites are invited to register now using the Leader Registration (LR) Form HERE.
Plas Menai will provide all necessary personal protective clothing including wetsuits, waterproofs, buoyancy aids and helmets.
Please bring with you;
- Swimming togs & towel
- Footwear for on the water
- Sock that cover your ankles
- 50p for locker
THINGS TO CONSIDER WHEN YOU BOOK WITH PLAS MENAI NATIONAL OUTDOOR CENTRE
Plas Menai fully supports the government guidelines on the current Covid-19 situation. Following Government advice, we have everything in place to operate safely and follow these guidelines.
- Pre book your adventure online. Booking in advance is essential. We cannot accommodate walk in bookings.
- A booking confirmation will be sent out to your email address including all information you will need before arriving at the centre.
- Waivers are online only; a link will be included in your email confirmation for you to complete on your own computer or phone. If we do not receive a completed waiver from you and additional participants, we cannot take you on your activity.
- Arrive 10 mins before your adventure start time and wait in your vehicle where your instructor will meet you.
- If you have your own wetsuits it is preferable to bring them, if not, our instructors will allocate your wetsuit, buoyancy aid and helmet that will have all been cleaned within manufacturer guidelines.
During this time, we have had to adapt areas of our service to ensure staff and customers are kept safe. Find out how we are reopening safely here.
Duration: 2 Days
Minimum Standard: See Pre-requisites
Minimum Age: 16 yrs.Check Dates, Prices & Book