Prior to attending an RYA Dinghy Instructor course all candidates need to pass a formal pre-entry assessment of their sailing skills, a full description of which can be found in the G14 National Sailing Scheme Instructor Handbook.
Candidates should be able to complete tasks such as sailing around a triangular course, man overboard recovery, sailing in tight circles, and sailing a follow my leader course. You may also be asked to undertake some of the following; coming along, anchoring, picking up a mooring, sailing without a rudder or demonstrate a lee shore landing.
It is important you satisfy yourself that you are at the required standard prior to attending this course. The pre-entry assessment must be completed within 1 year prior to the instructor course.
Prior to the Pre-entry assessment, why not join our Dinghy Instructor Training Preparation Day, designed for upcoming Dinghy instructors, to ensure participants feel comfortable, confident and that you're prepared to make the most out of your Instructor Training
Plas Menai will provide all necessary personal protective clothing including wetsuits, waterproofs, buoyancy aids and helmets.
Please bring with you;
- Swimming togs & towel
- Footwear for on the water
- Sock that cover your ankles
- 50p for locker
THINGS TO CONSIDER WHEN YOU BOOK WITH PLAS MENAI NATIONAL OUTDOOR CENTRE
Plas Menai fully supports the government guidelines on the current Covid-19 situation. Following Government advice, we have everything in place to operate safely and follow these guidelines.
- Pre book your adventure online. Booking in advance is essential. We cannot accommodate walk in bookings.
- A booking confirmation will be sent out to your email address including all information you will need before arriving at the centre.
- Waivers are online only; a link will be included in your email confirmation for you to complete on your own computer or phone. If we do not receive a completed waiver from you and additional participants, we cannot take you on your activity.
- Arrive 10 mins before your adventure start time and wait in your vehicle where your instructor will meet you.
- If you have your own wetsuits it is preferable to bring them, if not, our instructors will allocate your wetsuit, buoyancy aid and helmet that will have all been cleaned within manufacturer guidelines.
During this time, we have had to adapt areas of our service to ensure staff and customers are kept safe. Find out how we are reopening safely here.
The Next Steps: Our globally recognised instruction and location provide the added edge, if you can do it at Plas Menai you can do it anywhere, so book your RYA Dinghy Instructor training with us.
RYA National Sailing Scheme Instructor Handbook (G14)
RYA Powerboat Logbook (G20)
Duration: 2 Days
Minimum Standard: You must be up to the standard of the advanced sailing modules
Passport Photo: If you do need to be assessed for Powerboat Level 2, please remember to bring a passport photo with you which is required for the issue of the RYA Powerboat Level 2 certificate.
Minimum Age: 16 yrs.Check Dates, Prices & Book