The RYA Dinghy Instructor is the qualification required for those wishing to use their sailing skills to teach others and impart their passion and enthusiasm for the sport.
As a dinghy instructor you must be a competent, experienced sailor capable of sailing a training boat in strong winds, handling a small powerboat and be able to communicate with a diverse range of people from novices to improvers, adults and children.
Due to the temporary adjustment to the RYA Dinghy instructor course we can offer a three day course for those aspiring instructors keen to teach and inspire sailing. This three days course is to be in singlehander dinghies. A bolt on two days can be done within 12 months to upgrade to the full dinghy instructor and we will run those courses as soon a social distancing and guidance allows candidates to sail together in crewed dinghies.
- RYA Powerboat Level 2
- Valid First Aid certificate (A full list of certificates recognised by the RYA can be found here)
- Pre-Entry Sailing Assessment
- RYA Safe and Fun Safeguarding course certificate - book the RYA Interactive online course with us
- RYA Member
- Completion of pre-course work (a link to the pre-course work pack will be included in your booking confirmation email)
On successful completion of your course you will be asked to sign a health declaration stating that you are not suffering from any physical or mental impairment which has an adverse effect on your ability to properly discharge your duty of care as an instructor. If you are unable to sign the standard declaration, you will be required to complete a medical questionnaire.
Plas Menai will provide all necessary personal protective clothing including wetsuits, waterproofs, buoyancy aids and helmets.
Please bring with you;
- Swimming togs & towel
- Footwear for on the water
- Sock that cover your ankles
- 50p for locker
THINGS TO CONSIDER WHEN YOU BOOK WITH PLAS MENAI NATIONAL OUTDOOR CENTRE
Plas Menai fully supports the government guidelines on the current Covid-19 situation. Following Government advice, we have everything in place to operate safely and follow these guidelines.
- Pre book your adventure online. Booking in advance is essential. We cannot accommodate walk in bookings.
- A booking confirmation will be sent out to your email address including all information you will need before arriving at the centre.
- Waivers are online only; a link will be included in your email confirmation for you to complete on your own computer or phone. If we do not receive a completed waiver from you and additional participants, we cannot take you on your activity.
- Arrive 10 mins before your adventure start time and wait in your vehicle where your instructor will meet you.
- If you have your own wetsuits it is preferable to bring them, if not, our instructors will allocate your wetsuit, buoyancy aid and helmet that will have all been cleaned within manufacturer guidelines.
During this time, we have had to adapt areas of our service to ensure staff and customers are kept safe. Find out how we are reopening safely here.
RYA Dinghy Coaching Handbook & Logbook (G14)
RYA National Sailing Scheme & Logbook (G4)
Young Sailors Logbook (G11)
Duration: 3 Days under current Government restrictions (usually 5days)
Minimum Standard: See pre-requisites
Minimum Age: 16 yrs.Check Dates, Prices & Book