A RYA Powerboat Instructor is a competent, experienced powerboater who has been trained to teach powerboating up to RYA Powerboat Level 2.
During the course you will cover, the principles of practical instruction, lesson planning, teaching styles, use of questioning, preparation and use of visual aids, assessment of students; learning, explanation and presentation of theory subjects, the structure of the scheme, planning progressive teaching sessions, preparation of boats and equipment, teaching methods up to RYA Powerboat level 2.
This three day course is taught by a RYA Powerboat Trainer and is moderated on the final day by a second RYA Powerboat Trainer.
- RYA Powerboat Level 2
- Completion of Powerboat Instructor Skills Assessment
- At least five season’s experience of powerboating, preferably in a range of boat types and sizes. For those who use powerboats as an integral part of their full time occupation, then this period is reduced to one season.
- Valid First Aid certificate (A full list of certificates recognised by the RYA can be found here)
- RYA Member
- Completion of pre-course work (a link to the pre-course work pack will be included in your booking confirmation email)
On successful completion of your course you will be asked to sign a health declaration stating that you are not suffering from any physical or mental impairment which has an adverse effect on your ability to properly discharge your duty of care as an instructor. If you are unable to sign the standard declaration, you will be required to complete this medical questionnaire.
Plas Menai will provide all necessary personal protective clothing including wetsuits, waterproofs, buoyancy aids and helmets.
Please bring with you;
- 50p for locker
THINGS TO CONSIDER WHEN YOU BOOK WITH PLAS MENAI NATIONAL OUTDOOR CENTRE
Plas Menai fully supports the government guidelines on the current Covid-19 situation. Following Government advice, we have everything in place to operate safely and follow these guidelines.
- Pre book your adventure online. Booking in advance is essential. We cannot accommodate walk in bookings.
- A booking confirmation will be sent out to your email address including all information you will need before arriving at the centre.
- Waivers are online only; a link will be included in your email confirmation for you to complete on your own computer or phone. If we do not receive a completed waiver from you and additional participants, we cannot take you on your activity.
- Arrive 10 mins before your adventure start time and wait in your vehicle where your instructor will meet you.
- If you have your own wetsuits it is preferable to bring them, if not, our instructors will allocate your wetsuit, buoyancy aid and helmet that will have all been cleaned within manufacturer guidelines.
During this time, we have had to adapt areas of our service to ensure staff and customers are kept safe. Find out how we are reopening safely here.
RYA Powerboat Logbook (G20)
RYA Powerboat Instructor Handbook (G19)
Duration: 3 Days
Minimum Standard: See eligibility criteria
Minimum Age: 16 yrs.Check Dates, Prices & Book