This 2-day assessment delivers the personal skill level and leadership ability required to lead a group of paddlers, on short, single or multi-day journeys in a moderate tidal water environment with winds not exceeding Beaufort Force 4.
Formerly known as the 4-star leader award from British Canoeing.
The Moderate water sea leader award has been designed to show a candidate has the skill level required to lead other competent paddlers in the moderate water environment.
You will need to show that you have the all-round ability to paddle, be safe and perform rescues along with the necessary leadership skills required whilst undertaking trips with a group of paddlers. You will also be assessed on your personal skills.
- BC Moderate water (4 star) sea kayak leader training course and relevant safety training.
- Coastal navigation & tidal planning
- 8 hr first aid certificate incl CPR
Before arriving at assessment, you must have completed your leader qualifications registration form, it is advisable to do this at least 2-weeks prior to the assessment date.
At the point of registration the following prerequisites are required:
- Relevant Leadership Training: Sea Kayak Leader training within previous 3 years.
- Relevant Safety Training: Coastal Navigation & Tidal Planning or similar RYA course (see the Equivalents for British Canoeing Safety Awards).
- First Aid Award: Recognised 2-day First Aid within last 3 years
- Registration Fee: £39 for British Canoeing Members
- Age: 16 years of age, or older
Paddlers who already meet these prerequisites are invited to register now using the Leader Registration (LR) Form HERE.
Plas Menai will provide all necessary personal protective clothing including wetsuits, waterproofs, buoyancy aids and helmets.
Please bring with you;
- Swimming togs & towel
- Footwear for on the water
- Sock that cover your ankles
- 50p for locker
THINGS TO CONSIDER WHEN YOU BOOK WITH PLAS MENAI NATIONAL OUTDOOR CENTRE
Plas Menai fully supports the government guidelines on the current Covid-19 situation. Following Government advice, we have everything in place to operate safely and follow these guidelines.
- Pre book your adventure online. Booking in advance is essential. We cannot accommodate walk in bookings.
- A booking confirmation will be sent out to your email address including all information you will need before arriving at the centre.
- Waivers are online only; a link will be included in your email confirmation for you to complete on your own computer or phone. If we do not receive a completed waiver from you and additional participants, we cannot take you on your activity.
- Arrive 10 mins before your adventure start time and wait in your vehicle where your instructor will meet you.
- If you have your own wetsuits it is preferable to bring them, if not, our instructors will allocate your wetsuit, buoyancy aid and helmet that will have all been cleaned within manufacturer guidelines.
During this time, we have had to adapt areas of our service to ensure staff and customers are kept safe. Find out how we are reopening safely here.
Duration: 2 Days
Minimum Standard: See Pre-requisites
Minimum Age: 16 yrs.