During this practical five day dinghy sailing improver course you will have the opportunity to both helm and crew dinghies and practice and consolidate your sailing techniques. The week will aim to cover;
RYA Better Sailing (Level 3): This course bridges the gap between Start Sailing and Basic Skills and the five advanced dinghy sailing modules, by consolidating your skills, helping to build your confidence and support the development of good technique and independent sailing. It may also provide a brief introduction to some of the different advanced sailing modules.
Seamanship Skills: The emphasis of this course is on increasing the self-reliance and decision-making of the sailor, by spending time developing your boat handling and manoeuvring skills in a seamanlike manner. Skills include coming alongside, man overboard recovery and reefing afloat.
Key learning points: Sailing efficiently using the Five Essentials, introduction to spinnakers, dry capsize, improved tacking and gybing, reefing afloat, man overboard recovery, anchoring and coming alongside
Using their local knowledge of the tides and the weather, our highly experienced instructors will ensure you get the very most out of the week, whatever the conditions.
Plas Menai will provide all necessary personal protective clothing including wetsuits, waterproofs, buoyancy aids and helmets.
Please bring with you;
- Swimming togs & towel
- Footwear for on the water
- Sock that cover your ankles
- 50p for locker
THINGS TO CONSIDER WHEN YOU BOOK WITH PLAS MENAI NATIONAL OUTDOOR CENTRE
Plas Menai fully supports the government guidelines on the current Covid-19 situation. Following Government advice, we have everything in place to operate safely and follow these guidelines.
- Pre book your adventure online. Booking in advance is essential. We cannot accommodate walk in bookings.
- A booking confirmation will be sent out to your email address including all information you will need before arriving at the centre.
- Waivers are online only; a link will be included in your email confirmation for you to complete on your own computer or phone. If we do not receive a completed waiver from you and additional participants, we cannot take you on your activity.
- Arrive 10 mins before your adventure start time and wait in your vehicle where your instructor will meet you.
- If you have your own wetsuits it is preferable to bring them, if not, our instructors will allocate your wetsuit, buoyancy aid and helmet that will have all been cleaned within manufacturer guidelines.
During this time, we have had to adapt areas of our service to ensure staff and customers are kept safe. Find out how we are reopening safely here.
The Next Steps: This 5 day course will provide you with a solid foundation on which to develop your sailing independently.
To find out where your nearest sailing club is please visit the RYA.
RYA Dinghy Sailing Beginners Handbook (G3)
RYA National Sailing Scheme Logbook (G4)
Duration: 5 Days.
Certificate: RYA Better Sailing (L3), Seamanship Skills
Minimum Standard: Be able to sail around a triangular course in light winds
Minimum Age: 16 yrs.Check Dates, Prices & Book