Learn to sail on this five day practical course, which provides the perfect introduction to sailing. During the 5 days we will introduce you to the basic fundamentals and take you through the necessary training to enable you to be confident out on the water.
Our friendly instructors will be with you every step of the way, offering clear instruction, guidance and encouragement to make this a truly unforgettable week. Over the week we aim to cover the following;
RYA Start Sailing (Level 1): This course introduces you to the fundamentals of sailing, including sailing up, down and across the wind, turning the boat and how to recover from a capsize.
RYA Basic Skills (Level 2): This course consolidates what you have already learnt on the Start Sailing course and sets out the foundations for developing your sailing skills further enabling you to make good decisions out on the water.
Key learning points: Rigging, launching, landing, sailing in all directions, capsize recovery, safety information and basic sailing theory.
Plas Menai will provide all necessary personal protective clothing including wetsuits, waterproofs, buoyancy aids and helmets.
Please bring with you;
- Swimming togs & towel
- Footwear for on the water
- Sock that cover your ankles
- 50p for locker
THINGS TO CONSIDER WHEN YOU BOOK WITH PLAS MENAI NATIONAL OUTDOOR CENTRE
Plas Menai fully supports the government guidelines on the current Covid-19 situation. Following Government advice, we have everything in place to operate safely and follow these guidelines.
- Pre book your adventure online. Booking in advance is essential. We cannot accommodate walk in bookings.
- A booking confirmation will be sent out to your email address including all information you will need before arriving at the centre.
- Waivers are online only; a link will be included in your email confirmation for you to complete on your own computer or phone. If we do not receive a completed waiver from you and additional participants, we cannot take you on your activity.
- Arrive 10 mins before your adventure start time and wait in your vehicle where your instructor will meet you.
- If you have your own wetsuits it is preferable to bring them, if not, our instructors will allocate your wetsuit, buoyancy aid and helmet that will have all been cleaned within manufacturer guidelines.
During this time, we have had to adapt areas of our service to ensure staff and customers are kept safe. Find out how we are reopening safely here.
The Next Steps: This week will give you a solid basic skill and knowledge base to allow you to go afloat. To progress your sailing further we recommend you join your local sailing club to help consolidate what you have learnt, and then consider the follow up Develop your Sailing 5 day course or Better Sailing 2 day course.
To find your nearest sailing club, please visit the RYA
RYA Dinghy Sailing Beginners Handbook (G3)
RYA National Sailing Scheme Logbook (G4)
Duration: 5 Days
Certificates: RYA Start Sailing (L1) & RYA Basic Skills (L2)
Minimum Standard: None
Minimum Age: 16 yrs.Check dates, prices & book