Improve your sailing on this 2 day course which has an emphasis on providing lots of practical experience out on the water, aimed at building your confidence and competence.
Over the 2 days we aim to cover the following;
RYA Basic Skills (Level 2): This practical course consolidates what you will already have learnt on the RYAtart Sailin (L1) course and sets out the foundations for developing your sailing. Practical on water sessions include coming alongside, improved tacking and gybing and man overboard. By the end of this course you should be a competent light-wind sailor, able to confidently sail around a short course without an instructor onboard.
Key learning points: Rigging, launching and landing, sailing in all directions, man overboard recovery, coming alongside, safety information and basic sailing theory.
Our friendly instructors will be with you every step of the way, offering clear instruction, guidance and encouragement to ensure you really get the most out of your sailing weekend.
Plas Menai will provide all necessary personal protective clothing including wetsuits, waterproofs, buoyancy aids and helmets.
Please bring with you;
- Swimming togs & towel
- Footwear for on the water
- Sock that cover your ankles
- 50p for locker
THINGS TO CONSIDER WHEN YOU BOOK WITH PLAS MENAI NATIONAL OUTDOOR CENTRE
Plas Menai fully supports the government guidelines on the current Covid-19 situation. Following Government advice, we have everything in place to operate safely and follow these guidelines.
- Pre book your adventure online. Booking in advance is essential. We cannot accommodate walk in bookings.
- A booking confirmation will be sent out to your email address including all information you will need before arriving at the centre.
- Waivers are online only; a link will be included in your email confirmation for you to complete on your own computer or phone. If we do not receive a completed waiver from you and additional participants, we cannot take you on your activity.
- Arrive 10 mins before your adventure start time and wait in your vehicle where your instructor will meet you.
- If you have your own wetsuits it is preferable to bring them, if not, our instructors will allocate your wetsuit, buoyancy aid and helmet that will have all been cleaned within manufacturer guidelines.
During this time, we have had to adapt areas of our service to ensure staff and customers are kept safe. Find out how we are reopening safely here.
The Next Steps: To progress your sailing further we recommend you joining your local sailing club to help consolidate what you have learnt. Once you have gained more experience and confidence then think about trying our RYA Better Sailing (L3) for a further 2 days or Develop your Sailing 5 day course: RYA Better Sailing (L3) & Seamanship Skills.
To find out where your nearest sailing club is please visit the RYA.
RYA Dinghy Sailing Beginners Handbook (G3)
RYA National Sailing Scheme Logbook (G4)
Duration: 2 Days
Certificate: RYA Basic Skills (L2)
Minimum Standard: Has a basic understanding of the fundamentals of sailing and be able to sail in light conditions up, down and across the wind under the close guidance of an instructor.
Minimum Age: 16 yrs.Check Dates, Prices & Book