Learn to sail on this 2 day introduction to keelboat sailing.
Most of the course will be spent on the water but some basic aspects of theory are included to give you an all-round understanding to ensure so that you will be safe and enjoy your time afloat.
Over the 2 days we aim to cover the following;
RYA Start Sailing (Level 1) Keelboat: How to sail in all directions, including an awareness of launching and recovering
Key learning points:
- Rigging a keelboat;
- Sailing techniques such as tacking;
- Parts of the sail and sail control;
- Reaching, tacking and gybing;
- Basic rope work i.e. knots;
- How to use an inboard engine on the boat;
- How to launch and recover your boat.
Our friendly instructors will be with you every step of the way, offering clear instruction, guidance and encouragement.
The weekend will begin with an instructor sailing in the boat with you, but it is hoped by the end of the weekend you will be sailing on your own, with the instructor overseeing your development from a powerboat.
Plas Menai will provide all necessary personal protective clothing including wetsuits, waterproofs, buoyancy aids and helmets.
Please bring with you;
- Swimming togs & towel
- Footwear for on the water
- Sock that cover your ankles
- 50p for locker
THINGS TO CONSIDER WHEN YOU BOOK WITH PLAS MENAI NATIONAL OUTDOOR CENTRE
Plas Menai fully supports the government guidelines on the current Covid-19 situation. Following Government advice, we have everything in place to operate safely and follow these guidelines.
- Pre book your adventure online. Booking in advance is essential. We cannot accommodate walk in bookings.
- A booking confirmation will be sent out to your email address including all information you will need before arriving at the centre.
- Waivers are online only; a link will be included in your email confirmation for you to complete on your own computer or phone. If we do not receive a completed waiver from you and additional participants, we cannot take you on your activity.
- Arrive 10 mins before your adventure start time and wait in your vehicle where your instructor will meet you.
- If you have your own wetsuits it is preferable to bring them, if not, our instructors will allocate your wetsuit, buoyancy aid and helmet that will have all been cleaned within manufacturer guidelines.
During this time, we have had to adapt areas of our service to ensure staff and customers are kept safe. Find out how we are reopening safely here.
The Next Steps: This 2 day course is a perfect introduction to sailing. To progress your sailing further we recommend joining your local sailing club to help consolidate what you have learnt, and then consider RYA Basic Skills (L2) - Keelboat 2 day course.
To find out where your nearest sailing club is please visit the RYA.
RYA Dinghy Sailing Beginners Handbook (G3)
RYA National Sailing Scheme Logbook (G4)
Duration: 2 Days
Certificate: RYA Start Sailing (L1)
Minimum Standard: None
Minimum Age: 16 yrs.Check Dates, Prices & Book