The RYA Coastal Skipper/Yachtmaster Theory course revisits, develops and builds upon the skills from the shore-based day skipper course. By the end of the week you should have advanced your theoretical knowledge sufficiently to skipper a yacht on coastal passages by day and night.
Key learning points: position fixing, course shaping and plotting, tidal knowledge, use of alamanacs and admiralty publications, electronic position finding equipment, taking and interpreting forecasts, plotting weather systems, weather predictions using a barometer.
This course is classroom based.
Please bring with you:
- 2B pencils (chartwork)
- Plotters - Available to purchase at the centre on arrival
- Dividers - Available to purchase at the centre on arrival
THINGS TO CONSIDER WHEN YOU BOOK WITH PLAS MENAI NATIONAL OUTDOOR CENTRE
Plas Menai fully supports the government guidelines on the current Covid-19 situation. Following Government advice, we have everything in place to operate safely and follow these guidelines.
- Pre book your adventure online. Booking in advance is essential. We cannot accommodate walk in bookings.
- A booking confirmation will be sent out to your email address including all information you will need before arriving at the centre.
- Waivers are online only; a link will be included in your email confirmation for you to complete on your own computer or phone. If we do not receive a completed waiver from you and additional participants, we cannot take you on your activity.
- Arrive 10 mins before your adventure start time and wait in your vehicle where your instructor will meet you.
- If you have your own wetsuits it is preferable to bring them, if not, our instructors will allocate your wetsuit, buoyancy aid and helmet that will have all been cleaned within manufacturer guidelines.
During this time, we have had to adapt areas of our service to ensure staff and customers are kept safe. Find out how we are reopening safely here.
The Next Steps: This course provides the background knowledge required to undertake the RYA Coastal Skipper practical course.
International Regulations for Prevention of Collisons at Sea (G2)
RYA Navigation Book (G6)
RYA Navigation Exercises (G7)