This is our standard starting point for young people aged 8 and over wanting to learn to sail, this course that is specially tailored to younger sailors will teach the young person a basic understanding of how a boat sails, with some experience of steering and handling the boat.
During this course we aim to maximise water time, there is some theory associated with the syllabus but we aim to teach this in an efficient manner.
RYA Youth Learn to Sail Stage 1: Launching and recovery, steering, parts of the boat, basic sailing. After this course you should be able to steer and understand basic principles.
Key learning points:
- Rigging the boat with assistance
- Launch the dinghy from the shore with instruction
- Steering the boat while sailing and being towed.
- Can turn the boat (go about)
- How the basic sail controls work and how to stop
- How to paddle or row the boat.
- What to wear
- What the parts of the boat are called.
- Where the wind is coming from.
Our friendly instructors will be with you every step of the way, offering clear instruction, guidance and encouragement.
Plas Menai will provide all necessary personal protective clothing including wetsuits, waterproofs, buoyancy aids and helmets.
PLEASE BRING WITH YOU:
- Swimming togs & towel
- Footwear for on the water
- Sock that cover your ankles
- 50p for locker
Please bring a waterproof jacket, warm clothes and a hat if it's cold; if it's warm you will need sun screen, sunglasses, a hat and cool clothing. Whatever the weather you will also need footwear to wear on the water (old trainers).
THINGS TO CONSIDER WHEN YOU BOOK WITH PLAS MENAI NATIONAL OUTDOOR CENTRE
Plas Menai fully supports the government guidelines on the current Covid-19 situation. Following Government advice, we have everything in place to operate safely and follow these guidelines.
- Pre book your adventure online. Booking in advance is essential. We cannot accommodate walk in bookings.
- A booking confirmation will be sent out to your email address including all information you will need before arriving at the centre.
- Waivers are online only; a link will be included in your email confirmation for you to complete on your own computer or phone. If we do not receive a completed waiver from you and additional participants, we cannot take you on your activity.
- Arrive 10 mins before your adventure start time and wait in your vehicle where your instructor will meet you.
- If you have your own wetsuits it is preferable to bring them, if not, our instructors will allocate your wetsuit, buoyancy aid and helmet that will have all been cleaned within manufacturer guidelines.
During this time, we have had to adapt areas of our service to ensure staff and customers are kept safe. Find out how we are reopening safely here.
The Next Steps: This weekend is a perfect introduction to sailing. To progress your sailing further why not join the RYA Youth Improver Sailing Stage 2.
Duration: 2 Days
Certificate: RYA Youth Learn to Sail Stage 1
Minimum Standard: None
Minimum Age: 8 yrs.Check Dates, Prices & Book